Last night, after catching a late flight to LaGuadia Airport, I collapsed into a cab, and was surprised to find the sting from leaving the Gordons in Houston soothed in part by the beautiful New York skyline.
This combination of serenity and excitement emitted by the big city was soon cancelled out by a showdown with my cabbie about tipping; following which I sweated my way up several flights of stairs balancing 2 bags, and gasping whilst speaking to Josh on the phone.
As I was drifting asleep, I couldn't find my iPhone, to set my customary 4 alarms, but I didn't think much of it.
This morning, after gracefully dumping the contents of my handbag on my bed, I realised it was missing, and that I had likely given that grumpy cabbie a tip of approximately $400 of iPhone. Oops.
My sunny park-side walk to work was weighed down by the clumps of regret and shame curling in my stomach.
But then, came the New York Miracle, wrapped up and tied with a bow.
I had an email from a lovely gentleman, stating he had found my iPhone, would 'hate for me to buy another one, or be inconvenienced at all by not having it' and here is contact details so I could get it back as soon as possible. Upon my calling him, he maneuvered his busy schedule to come and drop it off at my office.
That's right. A 100% voluntary same day delivery of a lost iPhone by a well meaning fellow New Yorker.
A shout out to all honest people around the world, and particularly in this city, who says chivalry is dead?
No comments:
Post a Comment