To thrift or not to thrift, that is the question.
This inner debatd of my has recently been brought to my attention again by my gorgeously trendy roommate Cate. Hello style, every single day and she swears by the budget buys. Similarly, I am in awe of Josh's sister Amy, whose kids look like something out of a Ralph catalogue, and whose toy room is as appealing as 'Coles' from Miracle on 34th street, and yet lives on the philosophy of garage sales in well-to-do neighborhoods.
So today, After my nice scenic trek by the Riverside Church, Columbia and Riverside Park, I stuck my head in an Upper West Side thrift store. As notoriously dumpy as their appearances may be, I found myself debating between brand name, after brand name. Yes there was no change room (I got to make friends with the mirror in the men's suit room) but I walked out with a blazer and high heels for less than $40 bucks.
It gets better.
My new tuxedo blazer is Theory. Normal retail price: $400-$600.
My new work pumps are Stuart Weitzman. Normal retail price: $350-$400.
My calculated savings for clothing that is not visibly used? Oh around $960 big ones.
So why don't we thrift more? Yes maybe an Upper West Side store is better equipped than DI Provo, but really I never plan on a shopping trip to my local op shop. More often than not I see them as a destination for costume parties, rather than following the wise example of my roommates, both past and present (Emma, Rach, and Cate I'm talking about you) who manage to look stylish and not break their budgets. I think it is a case of outer appearances; of buying the book FOR its cover so To speak.
Of course items are going to seem more appealing if presented in a well lit, visual mechandised store, which has been specifically designed to make you want to buy clothes. Sometimes it seems the nice packaging attaches an instrisic value to the product itself, but what we really have to ask is, how much is the packaging worth to you? Nice packaging may be the difference between a .25 carat and a .75 carat for the same price and quality diamond. Is that worth it? Quality is always important for buys, especially for long term purchases, but let's remember, quality needs to be in the product, not in it's packaging. Especially considering That once the item is in use, no one is going to know where you bought it from, except you.
That's all from a thrift store convert, who now can afford to wear designer.
No comments:
Post a Comment