Thursday, October 20, 2011

Life as we know it (how to be successful)


Today was just one of those days. From leaving my keys at home (all you skeptics this was the first time in NY) and getting lost on my way to the UN, again, it just wasn't working.

After the fascinating 3rd committee meeting on freedom of religion and beliefs, Troy and I introduced ourselves to the esteemed speaker. We exchanged business cards, and Troy headed back to the office.

I then had the bright idea to call my boss and suggest arranging a meeting with this speaker. His office is located in Geneva, so I conveyed the 'now or never' aspect of securing this meeting. However, after obtaining my boss' endorsement I went back to find the speaker and he was being escorted out.

Thus began my 4 hour stake out of the UN to find this man. I trawled the meeting guides, hung out by doors to private meetings; even ending up in a 'closed' UNSC member state only conference (something I did not realize until I left).

As the day progressed, I convinced myself more and more of the dire importance of my quest. Finally, exhausted, staking out yet another door in huge lobbies that now felt claustrophobic, I rung Josh. Now for those of you who know Josh and I, he is as undramatic as I am dramatic; the perfect antithesis to my stress- which thankfully is helping me mellow out. Today, his calm wisdom did not fail to deliver.

Last year, my dad taught me a life changing lesson in regards to opportunity in life "just make it happen". And it has been that very phrase that got me on a plane to sit the ACTs in America, into BYU's PR program early, to this internship in New York, and to keep trying today. Whilst I still endorse this mantra fully, today Josh taught me what i feel is the second half.

As I was lamenting to him about my supposed failure in this all important task (I had forgotten that it was self imposed) he, with his usual blunt manner told me to pull it together.

"all the Lord requires is that we do our best".
Now in my mind it seems like "best" can become synonymous with "success". Before you laugh, we all have (and need) areas and passions in which we desire success. After all, as Brother Brad Wilcox teaches in one of my favorite talks "who gets out of bed in the morning aiming to for mediocrity?"
However, what Josh was highlighting is that sometimes our best isn't success, or even close to it. Sometimes our best is laboring all day and going home without the fruit we had sought.

What matters is that we tried our best. Of course we should still seek for and capitalize on opportunities, "make things happen" and look to succeed in achieving our objectives. However, I need to be careful not to be narrow in my definition of success. After all, maybe my success today was being able to try, and then learn this valuable lesson from Josh, and seek to apply another tiny piece in my lifelong quest for perfection.

So as long as we try our best, we can rest weary and content With our days labours, as after all, trying is and should be seen as an achievement.

After all, as I write this, I am sitting in the shadow of fifth avenue's own new York public library, as the city lights up against the grey stormy autumn sky. Call me a silly Audrey Hepburn fan but any day when i can visit here (or any other part of this beautiful world) will always be great!
There really is beauty and success in all things; you just have to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment